Monday, August 24, 2009

Wikis


Until now, my only experience of wikis has been Wikipedia and, although I knew it was contributed to and edited by people all over the world, I didn’t really comprehend the significance of that until I did this exercise. What a neat idea! Why hasn’t someone started one for North Shore City (before we get sucked into the supercity) where everyone can post community news? In the past, when I was involved with various PTFA fundraising committees, I would have loved to have been able to go on-line to see when there was a ‘free’ weekend to organise a fun run, gala, etc. and I’m sure others would too. The library is an ideal starting point for something like this … it is community-based and a known physical noticeboard so why shouldn’t it be the virtual source of local “what’s on” information that everyone turns to first? A link to/from the library webpage could enable patrons to access and edit it.

Wikis within the library enable patrons to comment on books and post reviews. Information contained within the summary field is limited and a link to a wiki would allow readers to share thoughts and opinions about books. This could be particularly useful for those people who have limited searching skills.

No comments: