Thursday, August 13, 2009

RSS

Drop-6
Drop-6,
originally uploaded by mvadu.
I watched the videos at night in order to be all ready to start the next morning but then had to re-watch them because I couldn’t remember the exact steps – silly me! But, it was probably a good thing to watch them twice as I think I understand the process better now. At first I wondered why anyone would want to subscribe to a feed but the videos were really helpful! I now understand how useful these links are to people who need up-to-date info NOW!

Didn’t really know what feeds I wanted so subscribed to a couple of newsfeeds from NZ Herald and TVNZ for starters, but … and this was the really challenging part …I couldn’t find how to access them! Took a while but eventually I found it was as simple as clicking on the Feeds tab, under Favourites – silly me, again!! This makes me wonder whether I have done things correctly … can’t see why I needed a bloglines account as I access the feeds from Internet Explorer. However, it’s been an interesting learning curve and now I can go straight to the latest news bulletins – and the NSL Exercise site, as I’ve added that too. Being able to search up in the top right-hand corner is handy. And, there’s no advertising on the Herald and TVNZ feeds, which has to be a big plus!

Not sure how often I’ll use this new skill myself but, who knows? … now that I’ve mastered it, I might be subscribing to all sorts of information. Can see that RSS could be a very useful marketing tool for libraries, keeping patrons up-to-date with new releases, book reviews and up-coming events.

This photo by mvadu found on flickr epitimises RSS – ripples travelling outwards.

No comments: