Tuesday, October 6, 2009

eBooks


I was very impressed with the look of the Kindle. It appeared easy and convenient to use, particularly for commuters travelling to and from work each day by bus or train … I wish I’d had one years ago when I used to bus to work! However, having been a library user all my life, I would not wish to start paying for the privilege of reading a book.

Project Gutenberg had a wide variety of books and I found many classics by Charles Dickens, Lewis Carroll, Jane Austen and even our very own Katherine Mansfield. I didn’t enjoy reading the computer screen, although the typeface (Times New Roman) was quite legible. I didn’t download any audio book but did try a couple of ‘sample chapters’ on Libvrox. Not being a fan of American accents, I think I would tire of listening quite quickly. An interesting experience but not one I would be repeating again in the near future unless I had access to a better reader than my computer screen or could find a free audiobook read with an English accent.

No comments: