Monday, October 5, 2009

Podcasts


After listening to a few podcasts, have decided this is not something I would choose to do frequently. Many of the podcasts which caught my eye were no longer active - when I tried to subscribe to RSS feed, their latest entry was two or more years ago. This made me wonder whether their novelty had worn off after a little while.

However, I do see the podcast as a great tool for educational purposes. What a brilliant way for teachers to present tutorials, particularly to students studying on-line. Being able to actually hear someone's voice creates an intimacy which cannot be replicated in a written transcript. This would apply not only to formal study but also to recreational 'do it yourself' hobby instructions. I found an interesting podcast on getting the best from cut flowers which inspired me to include this photo with my post.

To encourage patron usage, short podcasts of "how to ... search, request, suggest for purchase, etc." could be linked to the library's website.

No comments: