Friday, July 31, 2009

Technology

As much as I hate to admit it, I am old enough to have talked on a party-line, had my photo taken with a box brownie camera and learned to type on a manual typewriter. I can remember the thrill of changing typefaces on an IBM ‘golfball’ typewriter, the relief when correcting ribbons were invented and my mother’s delight when automatic telephone exchanges meant phone calls would be private. I can remember the wonder of being able to store and retrieve documents on a word-processor (when floppy discs were floppy!) and the excitement with which I unpacked and assembled my first PC. But none of that compares with the awe I feel when I think of what can be achieved using today’s technology. Digital cameras, cellphones, computers, the internet and the world wide web I can handle (just!) but I dare not even try to image what changes will occur in the next twenty or thirty years.

3 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Interesting post.
I can relate to a lot of those things and I used to work on an old corded telephone exchange for tolls (NZ Post.)
When Telecom took over and the change to the computer type switchboard, everything was so different and much more efficient, but some jobs were lost.

A good question ~ What will occur in the next twenty or thirty years? makes one wonder!

Tweedledee said...

Yes, I agree. I too can remember the changeover to computer. Some things we lost, others we gained. Guess our descendants will also feel the same about their lives and the discoveries in their lifetimes!!
One thing is constant - change!!

Day Dreamer said...

Hi Carolyn @ Draffin Bears,
Thanks for dropping by ... you are so right, this blog is taking more time than I thought it would! As you may have guessed, I am doing this as part of a program and it is an amazing learning curve. I am discovering so many new things and learning so many new skills ... it's so exciting! But, in spite of all these advances in technology, it's great to know that some things, like your beautiful hand-made bears, have retained their popularity.

Hi Tweedledee,
Thanks for dropping by. Isn't it strange that even though we have gained so many new tools to help us do things faster and better, we still don't seem to have enough time for leisure!